Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Eight days ago.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Current mood: optimistic
Category: Life

Hi, well if you have followed my blog and read my post last week then you know i had surgery last Friday. it was an outpatient procedure, laproscopic/hysteroscopic (just means small incisions and tools that look inside.) I had some girlie interior redecorating, that's what I like to call it because, well, not everyone who reads this may want to know all the details of my insides.

So Thursday before surgery I was very very good I followed the docs instructions stuck to a liquid diet and followed all the instructions before surgery. Friday I got up before the butt crack of dawn to finish getting ready and yes again I was very good I followed instructions did what I had to be ready and didn't eat or drink. Jamie and I headed to St Joe's Women's Center we pulled out of the drive way right on time, I left the house with a small feeling of apprehension but I was stoic and doing quite well. We hit some traffic on the way and were a little nervous about arriving on time, however we did. I got through the paperwork and admitted PDQ (pretty darn quick.) The nurses and staff were all very nice, they asked the same questions over and over again and again each and every one of them. Things like did you have anything to drink/eat today?, so your diabetic? That one takes a lot more explaining my docs have all told me I am at risk but one put me on a medicine that many diabetics take (not insulin, I make my own) but a fertility doc put me on this and it's for what else it takes care of so I'd have to explain over and over no I'm not really a diabetic, but it's something that could happen if I'm not careful.

I managed to not get upset or freak out (freak out means internalize my nervous energy and fear) until I had to sign the waiver for anesthesia, the whole this could damage your teeth or dental work thing got me. I had to ask why would it hurt my teeth? Oh that's the first time I heard I'd have a tube down my throat. Here comes the control freak marching right on in... so I would have liked to been told that a little earlier. Then I get my IV eh not so bad the nurse was really good and I hardly felt the stick, I didn't know these days they numb the skin first. Finally James gets to come sit with me for a bit, that was nice but it didn't last long. The doc comes by says hello goes over what we'll be doing that day (what he'll be working on.) (Oh yea that's the other thing I had to answer over and over every nurse asked that repeatedly what are you having done.) Well after the doc stopped by things seemed to speed up a great deal, they sent James packing back to the waiting room, my nurse said "I'm going to give you something in your IV to relax you" my head started to swim and feel fuzzy. A guy in the brightest prettiest shade of blue scrubs I've ever seen and Dottie my nurse anesth.... (I can't spell what I can't even say right) came and unhooked me from the monitors where I was and said okay we're going to take you for a little ride. They wheeled my bed down a hallway into an OR, I got moved to another bed/table it was different, skinnier, felt like there were places they could just about fold me over on it, and they got me set up there arms stretched out monitors plugged back in and then warm blankets piled on. Wow that part felt yummy! I met another anesthetist (wow maybe I can spell that?) I don't remember the warning that they were giving me the happy drugs but I remember my doc walking in (at least I think it was him) it was his voice and shade of scrubs I had seen him in but I was no longer wearing my glasses... he said "well I see you've already gotten started." He's got a good sense of humor and I must too I think I smiled and that is all I remember from that room.

One thing I wasn't awake for after the surgery was over, my doc went out and spoke to James, told him what he'd done and found during surgery. I had asked James to make some calls for me and tell people I was okay so at this point he got out my cell phone and started calling and passing along the news or leaving messages. He was very good at this I don't think he missed anyone.

Sometime later I woke up in another area of the room I started out with a nurse in purple trying to get me to wake up (funny I have those scrubs too/Halloween costume), she was asking me to take a few deep breaths, which I did but I kept on doing. It seems to me at this point in the day anything they asked me to do I acted like an over achiever, keeping at whatever instructions I'd been given until I was asked to stop. The nice nurse in purple also said something like it's time to wake up and even though my eyelids wanted to slam shut and my head was still swimming I fought to wake up. There was a clock on the wall across from me I wanted so badly to see what time it was but my eyes wouldn't focus besides I still wasn't wearing my glasses. At this time the sequence of things is jumbled but I was asked what my pain level was and well I could tell there was some... I tried to process the thoughts and tell them ouch I hurt... I'm not sure what I said though or when I got something for the pain but I know I felt better soon (maybe I still had an IV then?) At some point James was brought back to see me and to my relief that meant I got my glasses back, so then I could try to look at the clock again and attempt to tell time but well the numbers didn't play nice then, they wouldn't hold still. In a bit I was escorted to the restroom and eventually able to get dressed, afterward I was moved to another area with a chair and I was given red gatorade and graham crackers this is also when I discovered my mouth was bone dry and eating a cracker was like chewing on a mouth full of sand, James had a chair there too, I was so glad he was nearby. While sitting there I was given something else for the pain, it worked very well, I sat, I napped (so did James) I had another nurse there she was nice but I recall moments of irritation as she interrupted what I thought was the best nap of my life. Then I had another nurse... I gather mine was at lunch, this nurse actually let me lay back in the recliner I was really starting to like this place. Then I woke up and my nurse was back I was feeling better and rested, she helped me to the restroom again. You may wonder why I keep bringing that up, well if you can't make water lady you can't go home... so you see it was an important step in the scheme of things. I became aware of noises around me and realized that all the women that were having C-sections were in the same area as me and so were their babies! I suppose I could of felt differently at this point but I loved hearing all those crying babies, during one of my walks to the restroom I seem to recall seeing baby incubator machines (you know those warming beds they first put the babies in.) I couldn't see the babies but I could still hear them, why does it take eyes so long to wake up after surgery I could see but focusing could be such a struggle, darn that nap just doesn't want to let go. Back at my chair I remember sitting around again, my neighbor walking past and saying "goodbye see you at home." (In case you forgot from last weeks blog she had surgery that day too, she was the first appointment and I think I was second.) So sometime after waving bye to Keli I was successful and released to go home too.

James got the car, nurse Tami (now I could see and read her name tag) and I got a chance to talk more she gave helpful hints for recovery it was a nice heart to heart from one sane person to one really drugged up me. I was having one of those warm fuzzy moments where I loved all my nurses and the doc so very very much. I think she enjoyed the chat almost as much she sent me out the door (well she pushed the wheelchair, I think?) with a can of red gatorade several packs of graham crackers, alcohol wipes (she said if I got nauseous they'd help/just smell them, I never had to use them) and she packed it all in one of those little tiny kidney shaped things they give people to puke in. I've never understood why they thought something that size or shape could be an effective receptacle for puke, personally I'm a fan of larger round bucket shaped devices.

So I'm headed out the door feeling good (thank you prescription meds) it is a beautiful day in Florida, sunny not too hot and once in the car and on the road towards home I felt so good and happy I started making calls myself. I called my mom and dad, James' mom, I'd have to check my phone but it seems like I called some friends too. The only thing I payed attention to regarding the drive home after calling a few people that I remember was a recurring thought please don't let anyone ahead of us brake hard I think James had the same thought or I finally mastered the Jedi mind trick. He fought traffic really hard to leave a big gap between us and the car ahead of us. It was an amazing ride home, smooth, and seemingly quick, I could swear that we left around 4pm and I recall looking at the clock as we neared the house and seeing 4:27pm, that just isn't possible though. Can a 45-60 minute ride at 4pm on Friday during the beginning of commuter traffic really be condensed to 30 minutes? I just don't see that as being possible, even if I mastered the Jedi mind trick I can't imagine it does anything to the time space thingy.

Some observations that seemed silly upon reflection; I had asked if I could sleep on my stomach afterward - what was I thinking? When I came home there was no way I was going to try that in fact I waited nearly a week. The doctor told me when I came home I could eat what I wanted. What was he thinking I had no desire to eat much of anything to be honest I didn't want to deal with what happens after eating - for hecks sake I didn't even want to fart... (sorry if I shattered some image of being a dainty female there.) Just for the record though I soon had moments where I would have loved to let one rip - during laproscopic surgery they fill the abdomen with gas - the doc had said he'd try to let as much back out as possible but I was still a little over inflated (abdomen not head) when I left, for the record it is amazing how long my brain seemed to remain fogged after the whole thing - I seem to recall James telling me things that afternoon even the next couple days and if they were mentioned again I might have a slight recollection but I wouldn't have remembered the conversation on my own poor guy now I know how it feels on the other end.

Day two, Saturday, started out rough I did become nauseous, I did ask for a round receptacle (sorry James) we did wonder what I had eaten that was pink (ewww sorry) I think I had jello at 4am? The rest of Saturday was a very nice day, the prescription pain meds worked their magic. James took great care of me I had a nice breakfast, I slept off an on all day long. Sunday was another easy day, another good breakfast, thanks again James (he knows me my favorite meal is breakfast.) Monday I was feeling good, James went to work and I was restless. I knew I might get scolded but I was so darned bored and restless, I emptied the dishwasher. I got scolded. Well I could continue on and on about what the days and first week following have been like but I have a feeling that though I see humor in some things over the days that followed that humor is all my own. I guess maybe I should mention though I had my first post-op appointment though and got my gold star, things look good so far.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, prayers, well wishes, flowers and well reading my posts. Luv ya...

See you later allig8tors.

p.s. sorry this post is so long but well I do have far too much free time right now

Currently listening : Menagerie: The Essential Zydeco Collection By Buckwheat Zydeco