Friday, December 28, 2007

December 2007 activities, warm fuzzies and recent thoughts...

Okay this could be a long post so grab your favorite beverage and get comfy.

First off let me get these thoughts out of the way, many people are thinking about the upcoming presidential primaries. I am not the most savvy individual when it comes to the political machine but here are a few thoughts from my point of view.

Hillary Clinton no way no how. I'd never vote for her end of story, I'd rather she dry up and blow away never to be heard from again.

Rudy Giuliani. I saw one of his T.V. commercials this morning, he refers to a book written by Tom Brokaw "The Greatest Generation" which speaks on the virtues of the generation that fought in and lived during World War II (note to self read that book.) He's (R.G. and author TB) lauding the service, courage and heroics exhibited by this generation (my parents generation for those who don't know that fact about me.) He then draws a parallel with what took place after the 911 attacks, specifically pointing out how people poured out to help New York. He is obviously riding the coat tails of the part he played in post 911 New York. He was a presence or voice after the attacks that helped people through a tough time. I'm not saying I'll vote for him if he makes it on the final ticket, but the commercial did it's job, it brought out a powerful memory.

Mitt Romney, I don't think I'd heard of him until he threw his hat in the presidential race. I have my doubts about him making it on the final ticket. If I thought he could keep his religious views out of his day-to-day decisions as president he might have my vote, but I can't commit to that right now. I saw one of his commercials this morning also, he was touting his view on illegal immigrants. The idea of creating a national worker database that employers could check to ensure the status of those they'd like to employ. It seemed he was stating that he is for legal immigration but whole heartedly against illegal immigration and does not support the idea of amnesty for those illegal immigrants that are already here. I know somewhere someone may be upset with me for my opinion here... but here goes anyway. I know some immigrants come here and do some pretty ugly jobs that some Americans don't want to do, that's fine, but do what it takes to come do this legally and learn English! We don't move to your countries and expect you to convert your nationally recognized language to English so what makes you think we should change things here just to suit you? Really the nerve. So back to my point sorry for that... so Mitt Romney, well that all sounds interesting but it sounds like so much baloney we hear during campaigning. I have my doubts about any presidency accomplishing much in this arena.

That's all on that topic from me, for now, moving on.

December 2007, during this month I have mailed my Christmas cards, mailed packages to my family and friends and I enjoyed dressing up and going with James to his company Safety Dinner aka the company Christmas party. I continued the shopping and wrapping, getting presents together and ready to spend Christmas with my in-laws. I made a couple batches of cookies sending some to work with James for him and his coworkers.

There are a few unusual things that I didn't do this season. This is completely out of character for me, I did not decorate. James and I were leaving to spend Christmas in Atlanta we were gone from Dec. 17th to Dec. 26th, it seemed pointless to decorate inside this year. So no tree, no snow globes, no nativity. I intended to decorate the outside of our home with lights, turns out I don't like doing this alone. James was kind of busy working, so we didn't put up lights. The only thing I did that might count as decorating really would be putting a wreath on the front door. I don't really count that though.

Don't count on me making it through another year without decorating and putting up the lights. It just wasn't the same without those things. I still watched my favorite Christmas shows and listened to my favorite Christmas music that was nice but I missed my tree with all its special ornaments, almost every one of those ornaments has a special story.

December 2007 in Florida has been warmer than normal for this area, this may be one of my only gripes about life in FL. I do enjoy living here but the weather here doesn't do much to add to the holiday spirit even when temperatures aren't running higher than normal. Seriously shorts and flip flops in December? I can't wrap my mind around a Jimmy Buffet lookin' Santa Clause, that's not my idea of St. Nick.

Believe it or not though the day we left town heading to GA and cooler temps it was 39 degrees here that morning, figures the day we leave town it cools for a bit. GA did deliver on the cooler temps though and good news for them it rained several of the days we were there. (Serious drought going on there.)

We really enjoyed our time in GA, we spent time with friends the first part of our trip and finished the last portion of our Christmas shopping. The second half of our trip we enjoyed spending all our time with family there, it was really good catching up, it had been too long.

Christmas was wonderful we had a great time. We really enjoyed shopping for the gifts we got for others, that is much more than half the fun. Sure it is great to receive but the thought that goes into choosing what to give those you love, the few we actually get to witness being opened, their reactions and the reactions we hear about afterward for those we don't get to watch, well that's fun. We of course will also really enjoy the gifts that we received.

So our travels for this holiday season are done and now we are home again and settling in again. 2007 is nearing an end. It has been a good year and seems like it will come to a close leaving us happy with good memories.

Here's hoping you all enjoyed Christmas and 2007, see you later allig8tors.